Customizing Your Own Acrylic Keychains with a Cricut: A Beginner's Guide
Making unique and personalized acrylic keychains is a cost-effective and simple DIY project that I enjoy doing for myself or as meaningful gifts for loved ones. With just a few small and common materials, you can easily follow these steps to create your own one-of-a-kind acrylic keychains. Keep reading to learn more!
What do you need?
Permanent vinyl in a top color and a background color
Optional: clear vinyl to protect it
Keychain blanks and hardware – or get a complete set with tassels
Cricut cutting machine
Standard Grip mat
Basic tool set
- Keychain SVG
What do you have to do?
Step 1: Preparing Your Designs In Design Space
In design space open a new project. On the new project screen click upload.
- Upload your SVG file and follow the prompts to add it to your projects. You’ll see that each design is a separate layer (note: this was made with a different SVG – I’ve added to it since this tutorial was created.)
Disable the layers you don’t plan to make. Adjust your color settings to suit you. Resize your layers to fit your blanks. When you’re done, save (always save!!) and hit “make it”. In the settings section you will choose premium vinyl, default pressure, fine point blade. Follow the prompts to cut your keychains.
Step 2: Remove the film from both sides of your acrylic blank
- Remove the film from both sides of your acrylic blank
- Cut out your design and backing piece on your Cricut and weed. Apply your transfer tape and cut it as close to the design as you can.
Step 3: Line your design up to your acrylic piece and apply
- If needed, use a piece of removable tape on the back of your blank so you can tape it to your surface while applying the vinyl.
- Use a scraper/squeegee to adhere it well to your blank and then carefully peel back the transfer tape.
Step 4: Apply the backing piece (the white circle)
- It should now look like this:
- Using your awl push the vinyl through the hole at the top. Twist it a little so the vinyl will be flush and you have a perfect hole for your keychain component.
- Using your pliers, attach your jump ring through the hole you just made. Hang the tassel on the front side like this:
- And then attach the keychain component to the back like this:
- Close the jump ring and your keychain should like like this:
Step 5: Finishing Steps
Wipe down the keychain with alcohol to get rid of any dust and fingerprints.
Apply your clear vinyl if you are using it.
Attach your keychain to a keychain display card for a great gift presentation or sellable end product.
You have now gained the skills and knowledge necessary to make beautiful and unique keychains with your Cricut machine. Remember to experiment with different designs, materials, and techniques to create keychains that truly reflect your personal style and creativity. We hope you enjoy the process and continue to hone your skills as a Cricut crafter. Happy crafting!